Vblog #1: Introduction

Welcome to my Vbolg!! My name is Hope Huddleston. I am currently a senior at the University of Houston and will be graduating in December of 2020 with a degree in Early Childhood Education. Teaching is something I have wanted to do my entire life, and I cant believe it is almost here. I' excited to be able to work at an elementary school teaching young children. Please watch the video below to hear more about me and my experience with language. 



As stated in the video, I was born and raised in Katy, TX. I was raised in a household where English was the first and only language spoken. Although I have never personally experienced an ELL education, as a teacher I understand the importance of being knowledgeable and prepared to educate ELL students. Houston and its surrounding areas are so diverse in language. My future classroom will include many of the strategies discussed by Wright. This includes implementing the ideas of cooperative learning to promote collaboration and student interactions. I want to provide a safe and supportive environment where all students feel comfortable to participate and learn. I want to provide the necessary support for all students to be successful in my classroom, regardless of their language background. As a teacher I want to teach my students to celebrate each other's differences. I plan on creating relationships with my students and fostering a positive and inclusive classroom environment.

I am look forward to this course, I hope to expand my knowledge and skills about language and ELL students.


Comments

  1. Hope, I appreciate the strategies you mentioned, for example cooperative learning, and I could hear the formation of your teaching philosophy through celebration of student differences, relationship-building, and ensuring an inclusive classroom context - all things that will serve your students well. I hope your first week back to face-to-face student teaching goes safe and well. Cheers, Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope, Thank you for sharing your Vblog. I grew up in Katy also and can appreciate the rich diversity of Katy. Wright points out that Texas is #2 in the nation for states with the largest English Language Learners (Wright, 2019). Many of my high school friends were bilingual and I did not really understand at the time that our educational system was based on the assumption that in order to learn English, these students had to abandon their home language and culture (Wright, 2019). Another important point you highlighted was the need to create a safe and supportive environment for our students. The theorist, Krashen, believes that the affective filter controls the students ability to receive input and if anxiety, low-self esteem or sense that they don't belong, the affective filter will keep the input out (Wright, 2019). Only when our students feel like they belong to a classroom community where they are proud to be themselves will they be ready to learn with us. I know I have personally experienced the impact the affective filter can have on learning when I feel like I do not belong to the group that I am working with and understand how it can undermine learning.
    Wright, Wayne (2019). Foundations for teaching English language learners: Research, theory, policy, and practice (3rd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Caslon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Avery for your comments. I think the two points you made about how bilingual students are expected to abandon their home language and how sense of belonging allows u us to better learn are important to be aware of. These go hand in hand when you think about bilingual students in your classroom. If you get a student and immediately strip away what is comfortable and safe and throw them into an environment where they don't fit in. You can not expect them to thrive, they have lost that sense of community.

      Delete
  3. Hope, you are going to be an amazing teacher! I love how you come from a line of teachers. I feel we have that in common. I come from a line of teachers as well and many nurses, too. I have not yet been able to accomplish my goal of learning a second language, as well. I feel this class will strengthen us to become great role models for our future students. I know we may not know multiple languages, but we do want the best education for every student. I also enjoyed seeing how you used what we learned in our CUIN 3111: Educational Technology for Children course for your Vblog. I used the same resources we learned as well for my Vblog.
    Cheers, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments. I love finding out more about my other student teachers, and building this place for us to share and collaborate. Although we are not able to speak another language, I think you are right. We can still use our cultural awareness and other skills to create an inclusive environment for all students. We don't have to speak the same language as them in order to make them feel included in our classroom.

      Delete

Post a Comment